The Academic Center provides peer tutors to help you improve your writing. There are three ways to take advantage of writing tutoring: appointment-based services, drop-in services, and online services.
We schedule 30-minute and 1-hour appointments throughout the day. If you have a paper of fewer than ten pages, you should sign up for a 30-minute session. If you have a paper longer than ten pages, we recommend signing up for a one hour session. If you plan in advance and schedule appointments as soon as you know due dates, you will find many available appointment times. Typically, though, as due dates approach, appointment slots fill faster.
To allow everyone a chance to get in and to allow you a chance to adequately review and revise your paper before you bring it in again, you can schedule 1 appointment per day (including online tutoring sessions). However, you are not limited to a certain number of tutorials during the semester. You may attend as many as you wish.
|Victoria Hours||Cinco Ranch Hours||Sugar Land Hours|
|Room 129, UW||Room 124||Room 103, GB|
Monday: 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Thursday: 12:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday: 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
||Wednesday: 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.|
How do you sign up for an appointment?
To sign up for an appointment, you must first register in WCOnline, our appointment system. You will register only one time during the semester, so you’ll just need to remember the email and password you used when you sign up.
- Registration is easy. Just go to http://uhv.mywconline.com/ and choose “Click here” to register.
- Once you’ve registered, you’ll be able to log into the system using your email address and password. You can choose the schedule for the location where you want to be tutored (Victoria, Sugar Land, or Cinco Ranch).
- To sign up for an appointment, look through the schedule and choose an open time (open time slot boxes will be white) by clicking on the box. Fill in the form that pops up on your screen. After you save the form (“Save Reservation”), the time period you wanted to sign up for should be colored yellow, which indicates that it’s your reservation.
You should always make an appointment to make sure a tutor is available.
DROP-IN WRITING TUTORING
Location: Victoria only; Room: 1129, Jaguar Hall
Drop-in tutoring is more informal and group oriented. Please bring your assignment, drafts, and textbook(s) to the session. If you want to work one-to-one with a tutor, we recommend signing up for an appointment-based session.
Hours of Availability
Drop-in Hours, Victoria, Jaguar Hall (1129)
Monday: 12 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
To send a paper for online tutoring, you must first register in WCOnline, our appointment system. You will register only one time during the semester, although you’ll return to WCOnline each time you want to send a document for tutoring.
- Registration is easy. Just go to http://uhv.mywconline.com/ and choose “Click here” to register. Once you’ve registered, you’ll be able to log into the system using your email address and password.
- To submit a paper for online tutoring, choose a “Writing Tutoring” schedule (any location).
- Then, select Click here! where prompted in the question "Looking for Online Tutoring? Click here."
- A form will appear in a pop up. Complete the fields in the form and attach your document at the end. (Microsoft Word 95 or above is the preferred program for tutoring; however, you also may submit your documents in Microsoft Works.)
- Finally, click “Send e-Tutoring Request.” You will receive a confirmation notice within one business day of the receipt of your email. Also, we'd like to encourage you to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book or friends list to ensure that automatic reply messages and tutor responses are not inadvertently sent to a bulk mail or spam folder.
Please note that you cannot send a document to us from within Blackboard.
Response Time: For documents under ten pages (most undergraduate documents), tutors will respond within two or three business days early in the semester (Jan./Feb., Aug./Sept.) and between four or five business days later in the semester (March/April/May, Oct./Nov./Dec.).
For additional information about online writing tutoring, please visit our page on Online Tutoring.
Open House in Victoria - 5/23/2013
City Golf Championship Banquet - 5/25/2013
Degree Information Session - 5/29/2013
President's Regional Advisory Board - 6/4/2013
Vietnam War Conference - 6/13/2013
Vietnam War Conference - 6/14/2013
Freshman Advising and Preregistration Day - 6/15/2013
UHV math professor teaches innovative lesson plans - 05/20/2013
UHV SBDC staff members earn global certifications - 05/17/2013
UHV student receives Salute to Nurses scholarship - 05/16/2013